On the 13th December 2016, the Minister for South African Home Affairs announced that South Africa were withdrawing the visa-free travel arrangements for New Zealand passport holders in response to New Zealand’s move to do the same for South African Passport Holders.
The changes took effect from 16 January 2017
Update: 10 November 2017
There is now a way to lodge your Visa application for South African Visa without having to to do so in person at the VFS application centres in Wellington and Auckland.
With written consent from the applicant, long established Visa Advice and Processing Service Travcour will be able to lodge applications on your behalf. Prior to this change Travcour could only lodge Visa applications for groups of 8 or more travelling on the same itinerary.
For more information including the current Travcour Fee, please contact Travcour via http://www.visadirect.co.nz/ or alternatively contact your preferred travel agent. Most New Zealand Travel Agents subscribe to Travcour’s Visa Services.
On top of lodging your application, their Visa processing service includes:
- Thorough checking of the documentation to ensure the correct procedures of the relevant Embassies have been adhered to.
- Arranging payment to the Embassy/Consulate in the currency & format required.
- Daily visits to Embassies/Consulates to lodge and collect applications.
- Monitoring the process of application at Embassies/Consulates.
- Creating a priority list for all departures within 5 working days for closer attention.
- Thorough checking of the passport upon its return to ensure visa has been issued in accordance with the itinerary.
- Dispatching of passport by overnight DX Mail or courier delivery.
You can still apply for and lodge your applications in person directly with VFS Global at their offices in Auckland or Wellington.
Please see http://www.vfsglobal.com/southafrica/newzealand/ for information about how to make an appointment at the Visa Processing office in Wellington or Auckland as well as documentation required. Applications for short term visa’s (up to 3 months) are accepted by VFS no earlier than 90 days prior to travel.
- New Zealand passport holders do not need to apply for Transit Visa’s is transiting through OR Tambo International Airport, Lanseria, Cape Town or King Shaka airports. Please ensure that you are booked on the same airline ticket number to your final destination.
READ: South African Airways: Visa Requirements for NZ Passport Holders
READ: South African Tourism Release Published in the Southern Africa Tourism Update
READ: Kiwis DON’T need South African Visas for these Safaris
Note this information was correct at the time of publication but is subject to change without notice.