An extraordinaary safari through the heart of Botswana’s diverse landscapes
Discover the untamed beauty of the Central Kalahari Game Reserve, the ancient salt pans of the Makgadikgadi and the watery wilderness of the Okavango Delta. 7 nights of this safari are spent ‘wild camping’ without fences in wilderness areas and your guides will erect a bucket shower (with hot water off the campfire) and a short-drop toilet (with a seat). The balance are spent in formal campsites with access to hote and cold showers and other facilities.
Tour Name: Botswana Trans Kalahari - Camping
Duration: 14 days
Touring Style: Small Group - max 12 travellers
Grade: Camping Safari - Limited Participation
Local Payment? No
Starts: Johannesburg, South Africa
Ends: Johannesburg, South Africa
Includes: Entrance fees, use of camping equipment (except sleeping bag/pillow), transport in safari truck/minibus & 4WD, meals as per itinerary, professional guides
01 Jan -31 Dec 2024
NZD 3,845 per person twin share
Single supplement: NZD 213 per person (If you are traveling on your own, Sunway will “room” you with another same gender client. You do not pay extra when booking as a single person. If however you request a single tent, then you’ll pay the single supplement.)
Tour Dates 2024
- Bold dates are guaranteed departures; all other dates are guaranteed from 4 clients.
- Live availability can be viewed on the Sunway Safaris website. Indafrica will manage your booking as Sunway’s New Zealand GSA office.
For the majority of this safari you travel in a custom-built 4WD Land Cruiser with 12 forward-facing seats (of which 8 are “window” seats). Roll-up canvas sides allow you to feel part of the bush.
For the first two days from Johannesburg to Maun we use custom-built Sunway Safari trucks with 12 forward-facing seats: or a Mercedes Sprinter minibuses with 12 forward-facing seats and air conditioning. See the Sunway Safaris Transport Guide for more information.
5 nights camping at designated campsites, 7 nights 'camp wild' without fences in the wilderness areas
- Goo-Moremi Gorge – walk this gorge that has a rich cultural and spiritual significance to the Botswanan people
- Kubu Island and Makgadikgadi Pans – boababs, salt pans and granite rock formations – an incredible place for photography day and night
- Okavango Delta – travel by mokoro and watch game and explore the area on foot/
- Central Kalahari Game Reserve – 4WD game viewing
- Meals and Activities not listed as included. Optional activities on this tour include a meerkat experience and scenic flight over the Okavango Delta
- All drinks including bottled water
- Gratuities. Tipping is customary in most African countries. We provide guidelines to know who to tip and how much.
- Entry Visas
- International Flights
- Comprehensive Travel Insurance (compulsory)
THIS IS A ‘LIMITED PARTICIPATION’ SAFARI
Active participation is a crucial component of your safari experience. From carrying your own bag to assisting with loading the truck in the morning – it is all part of the adventure.
As some days may be long and start early, it is essential for everyone to contribute and ensure the smooth running of the trip. When the tour leaders provide meals, we ask that clients take turns helping with dishwashing duties (the local polers will assist in the Okavango Delta to make things easier).
Enquire about this trip
Not the right tour for you?
Explore the Okavango Delta and Botswana's Northern Game Reserve plus Victoria Falls on the Botswana Wildside - 14 day camping safari